Friday, April 25, 2008

Bad Group Ride~RBM~North Ride

Last Saturday we decide to head towards the Dallas Area to ride with the girls in their neck of the woods. We head to Michelle's and ride towards the group that leaves the RichardsonBikeMart Shop. Boy, this ride was Crazy from the Start! It was a huge group, and we hit lights every other intersection, yes we are riding "IN TOWN".The riders fail to mention "Slowing" Stopping, etc. So, of course, I am "warning" the riders behind me, no one wants to get rear ended! Yikes. And this is by no means a "casual" pace. I mean, it is a sprint from light to the next. Well, this gets bad. As I just mention to Tracie, "that I can't see a thing in front of me" . So, all of a sudden, I barely miss a barricade, apparently the road narrowed and shifted over to the left. Well, all of the riders in mid pack and beyond were crammed into a small area fast. Going 25mph, Kim Chance T-bones a barricade comes off and some others crash. Of course, not knowing at the time, who went down, but knew several from behind the crash stopped. A good thing, two riders in the back were paramedics and called 911, and were able to stabilize Kim's neck. She broke her C1 & C2 in her neck. This is so scary! The ride after the crash did not get much better, even at the end when, only a handful were left. Boy, someone needs to teach these Dallas boys how to ride. I have been pretty spoiled riding in Flower Mound, where the group rides are monitored and everyone has respect for other riders. We point out turns/stops/holes or whatever may need to be announced. Kim Chance is an Expert Mountain Biker, so it is not like she has no handling skills. Watch out ! I hope the RBM people can learn from this, and make some positive changes. As for me, I will no longer go on that ride!

No comments: